To Treat or Not to Treat
Of course when it comes to treats a go to for most is the humble carrot or juicy apple, however some people have disvovered other favourites amongst their yard such as the banana. In a Horse & Hound article them spoke to a nutirsionst who mentions “Bananas can be fed with the skin on and are known to be very high in potassium. Studies have shown that horses prefer banana over traditional mint, carrot and apple flavours,” explains equine nutritionist, Olivia Colston MSc.
They also mention celerey. I know, it’s everywhere that it is a good choice in snack for ourselves, but did you know it is alao good for your horse?
Equine Nutritionist Fiona Watkins BSc (Hons) Pro Dip says “Celery is really low in sugar and a great alternative to carrots, which are 20% sugar. It is good because the texture in celery is high in cellulose, which makes it very good for chewing. The more the horse chews, the more saliva it generates. Saliva is alkaline and can guard against things like gastric ulcers”. Who knew!
Here is a list of safe foods to try:
Foods that should not be fed to your horse include:
- Brussel Sprouts
Sometimes, I think a treat can be a bonding moment between horse and rider. Whether a new paring or a team with years behind them. But don’t be fooled, fed too often and you will end up being mugged at every given opportunity.
Why not try mixing it up with a lick such as the Mini Horslyx or the KM Elite Ultimate Lick.
KM Elite Ultimate Lick:
The Ultimate lick is safe to use for laminitics. The average daily intake of sugar from the Ultimate Lick is just 50g. A high-quality vitamin, mineral and trace element lick designed to support your horses’ diet throughout the year. The lick is a combination of essential vitamins and minerals, (Vitamin E & Selenium are well known antioxidants) with Biotin & Zinc included too. With a blend of high quality oils providing more than 190 bioactive nutrients including healthy ratios of Omegas 3, 6, 9 and rare Omega 7 – nourishing the horse’s body with essential fatty acids, minerals, plant sterols, antioxidants, amino acids, anti-viral and antibacterial nutrients. There are also key vitamins including Vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, B12, B15, C, E, K included.
Great to use for stretches, farrier, little rewards or ones who like to fidget!
- Each 650g tub contains a 3 day supply of the unique Horslyx Balancer formulation.
- The Horslyx high specification vitamin, mineral and trace element package, which balances nutrient deficiencies in forage and grazing.
- Powerful anti-oxidants, such as Vitamin E and Selenium, plus chelated copper and zinc, to support and maintain a healthy immune system.
- High oil content for healthy skin and coat.
- Biotin, Zinc and Methionine for healthy hooves.
- Mint Mini Horslyx contains pure peppermint oil for a tasty and refreshing flavour.
- Garlic Mini Horslyx contains pure garlic oil to help deter biting insects.
- Respiratory Mini Horslyx contains Menthol, Eucalyptus and Aniseed to help support a healthy respiratory system.
- Mobility Mini Horslyx contains Glucosamine HCl, MSM and Omega Oils for the Ultimate Stretch and is designed to complement the everyday joint support provided by the 5kg and 15kg Horslyx Mobility Balancer.
- Pro Digest Mini Horslyx contains the digestive support package provided by the 5kg and 15kg Horslyx Pro Digest Balancer and also contains a tasty spiced apple flavouring.
Don’t be afraid to reward your horse or pony, just remeber like humans keep it in moderation and always ask your vet if you are unsure.